The objectives of the Project are:
- to retain and enhance the central obelisk and cross shaped features.
- to reinstate the gentle-running water feature.
- to make the Memorial a focal point of the area and be accessible in all weather conditions.
- to house the utilities required to retain the Memorial as a working reservoir away from the central feature and clear overgrown vegetation.
- to enable people to gather in remembrance, reflection or simply to sit and relax.
The site and key features will be enhanced by lighting and sympathetic planting and landscaping.
The site will form a part of the Mangaone, Rangatira and Otira heritage walks.
To view the concept drawing please scroll down.
(September – December 2014)
Planning , site clearance, research and design planning. This phase is now complete
(January – October 2015)
Relocation of utilities, building works, design confirmation and landscape site planning. This phase is now complete.
(December 2015 – March 2016)
Landscape development, final engineering works, and plantings. This phase is now complete.
(April – October 16)
Final site remediation. Rededication ceremony 20th October 2016.