This photo-montage is of Ohakea district residents who went to the 1914-1918 War / World War I. All were friends of the Bailey family, farmers at Ohakea.
The montage includes:
1. Roy Jennings Richardson - listed as law clerk, Feilding on enlistment in late 1915. Served in the NZ Infantry in France, late 1916 onwards. Killed in action, 2 Aug 1917 in France aged 22.
2. Unknown soldier
3. Claude Morpeth Richardson - listed as farmer, c/- JA Bailey, Ohakea on enlistment in late 1915 in the NZ Infantry. Spent 6 weeks in Suez in June / July 1916 before shipping onwards to England. Served in France from 28 August 1916, died of wounds 12 Nov 1916 aged 28.
4. Jack Cameron Bailey - 13th child of James Alexander Bailey of Ohakea. Listed as a farmhand when he enlisted in mid-1915. Served as a Trooper with the Canterbury Mounted Rifles in France. Died from wounds, 9 June 1917 aged 22.
5. Melville ['Mo'] Bull - from a farming family at Hunterville. Served with the Wellington Mounted Rifles. Killed 9 Aug 1915 at Chunuk Bair, Gallipoli aged 21.
6. Percy Gifford - born in Sanson, listed as a farmer on his enlistment in 1915. Served as a machine-gunner in France from mid-1916 on. Mentioned in Despatches for conspicuous gallantry in the presence of the enemy [repulsing Germans from the NZ machine-gun post]. Died of wounds from this event, 1 Jan 1917 aged 31.
This object is held in the Te Manawa Collection - photographs and information kindly provided by museum staff.